Sunday, September 1, 2013

Bath Time for Brogan


My dog Brogan is not generally fond of baths...although he seems to enjoy water at all other times (as long as soap is not involved). His favorite past time is fetching toys thrown into the river.

Today I coaxed him into the bathroom to get his weekly bath and noticed that he seemed scared when he got into the tub.  I realized that he did not have good footing in the bathtub and was slipping. His slipping caused him to feel unsafe and I could see him start to panic. It dawned on me that the previous place we lived in had a textured bathtub bottom, and the slippery surface was what was causing him distress.

I paused the bath and searched the house and found a mat to put in the bath for him to stand on. He immediately relaxed and was no longer scared. How had I overlooked this simple accommodation over the past few months?

It got me to thinking about how easy it can be to overlook simple solutions to everyday problems that we humans face. There are many areas in our lives that can be slightly adjusted and adapted that can make daily life safer and more efficient.

What small changes in your environment can you make that can make a big difference in simplifying and enhancing your life?




No comments:

Post a Comment